AK Ganguly must resign, demand MPs
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Retired Supreme Court judge, Justice AK Ganguly – who is accused in a sexual harassment case – came under fire in the Lok Sabha on Friday.
The BJP demanded Ganguly’s immediate removal if he failed to resign on his own from the post of chairman of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC).
Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj, of the BJP, raised the issue of alleged sexual harassment of a law intern by Justice Ganguly and demanded his removal.
“Justice Ganguly should either resign or he should be removed,” Sushma said.
“Justice Ganguly shouldn`t remain on his post for one more moment.”
While also raising the matter of Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal, the BJP leader noted, “Intern accused Justice Ganguly, junior accused Tehelka founder; it`s the guardian-ward relationship. Trust has been destroyed.”
JD-U leader Sharad Yadav backed Sushma’s views, saying, “He (Justice Ganguly) must resign and if there is any truth in the allegations, strict action will be taken.”
The Trinamool Congress also demanded Justice Ganguly’s removal, with its leader Sudip Bandyopadhyay saying, “Endorse Sushmaji`s demand for Justice Ganguly`s immediate resignation.”
As the remarks were being made, a section of MPs shouted, “We want justice.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors