Akal Takht Jathedar terms turban incident shameful
Amritsar: Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh on Thursday said that it was extremely shameful that two Sikh players were asked to remove their turbans on the basketball court in China.
Gurbachan told ANI, "The incident that happened in China is a shameful incident. Our government should take notice of the issue. Those Sikh players who go outside and play, they play with turbans. If you look at the history, Sikh players went outside and participated in Olympics wearing turban. I ask the government to compensate the players who were playing well so as to give them encouragement."
Two Sikh players - Amritpal Singh and Amyjot Singh - were asked to remove their turbans before India`s match against Japan on July 12. Match officials informed the players that they were breaking international basketball federation (FIBA) rules by wearing turbans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win