Akalis want LK Advani as PM?
New Delhi: With Narendra Modi’s PM candidature debate heating up in the BJP-led NDA alliance, the SAD on Monday pitched for LK Advani as National Democratic Alliance’s PM candidate for 2014 General Elections.
SAD leader Naresh Gujral said, “Nobody can have any objection to Advani ji. He is a senior and experienced leader of the NDA”.
Gujral’s statement comes a day after JD(U) put the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on notice and gave it time till December to name its prime ministerial candidate.
As JD(U) and SAD are in alliance with the BJP both at the Centre and respective states (Bihar and Punjab), the latest statement by Gujral’s statement assumes great significance as Narendra Modi is widely being seen in his own party and by his supporters as the prime ministerial candidate.
Only yesterday, JD (U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched a veiled threat against projecting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate.
Interestingly, JD(U) spokesman KC Tyagi on Saturday had also backed LK Advani as the NDA`s prime ministerial candidate saying that Advani had "changed his image from a Hindu hard-liner to a moderate through intense efforts in the last decade or so.”
NDA partner Shiv Sena has said that that it is not averse to any name being projected as BJP Prime Ministerial candidate, as long as all alliance partners are consulted before announcing it.
Meanwhile, the BJP, especially its Bihar unit, seemed ready to for a split with ally JD(U) on Monday over the projection of Gujarat Chief Minister as NDA’s prime ministerial candidate in 2014.
Key Bihar BJP leaders including CP Thakur, Ashwini Chaubey and Giriraj Singh are in Delhi to meet party president Rajnath Singh over Nitish Kumar’s belligerent stand against Modi.
BJP chief Rajnath Singh has repeatedly said that Modi is party’s most popular leader but has refrained from naming him the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister