Akash missile clears final test, ready for induction
Bhubaneswar: India Wednesday successfully test fired indigenously developed surface-to-air missile Akash from a defence base in Odisha, an official said. The medium-range is now ready for induction in the Indian Army.
The missile, with a 27-km range and an effective ceiling of 15 km, was test fired from the Integrated Test Range in Balasore district, 230 km from here.
"This flight trial was last among the validation trials being carried out by the army on the first-off production models of Akash supersonic missile," Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta said.
During the trial Wednesday, the supersonic missile intercepted a very small unmanned fast moving Banshee aerial vehicle at 30 metre altitude above sea level, proving the system`s capability against subsonic cruise missiles.
"The sophisticated multi-function radar with built in features tracked the low flying target continuously throughout its course," a statement from the DRDO said.
Avinash Chander, scientific advisor to defence minister and directer general of DRDO, said the missile has "great export potential".
"While indigenous development, production and induction of Akash is making very significant contribution to India`s self-reliance in air defence technologies, Akash also has great export potential," Chander said while congratulating the DRDO team.
The 700-kg all-weather Akash missile can carry a 60-kg warhead at speeds of up to Mach 2.5. It can operate autonomously and simultaneously engage and neutralise different aerial targets.
It can be launched from static or mobile platforms, enabling flexible deployment by the armed forces.
The Akash mobile air defence weapon system has been designed, developed and led to production by DRDO for defending and protecting the important assets of the country from penetrating aerial attacks.
It has completed all the development flight tests, user trials and the system is in production for the army and air force.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview