Akhil opposes Team Anna`s decision to join politics
Guwahati: Urging Team Anna to change its decision of joining electoral politics, prominent Team Anna member and peasant leader Akhil Gogoi on Saturday said, "Otherwise, the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti will have to take an independent stand".
"We have no faith in the ability of electoral politics. Electoral politics by itself cannot bring an end to corruption. For that we need to change the system itself," Gogoi told a city-based private news channel.
He was replying to a query regarding his views on Team Anna`s decision which was announced yesterday.
Gogoi, a RTI activist and KMSS general secretary, said he had opposed any plans to enter electoral fray earlier also when the matter had cropped up during discussions.
"I had stated earlier also that the fight of India Against Corruption is not against any political party. Rather it was to build a strong public movement in the country," he said.
Incidentally, Gogoi had some months ago announced plans to form a party by 2016. He had, however, made it clear that his party would not enter the electoral fray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley