Akhilesh attacks Congress, calls CBI `persecution` tool
Allahabad: After SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav, his son and UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday launched a blistering attack on the Congress, alleging anybody who does not act according to its wishes faces "persecution" through CBI.
Akhilesh claimed that the UPA will suffer heavily in the next Lok Sabha elections due to "widespread dissatisfaction" among the people of the country.
Talking to reporters here on the sidelines of a function, Akhilseh however made it clear that the Samajwadi Party will "continue to support the UPA government to keep communal forces at bay" even as he asserted "we are fully prepared for the elections, whenever they take place".
Asked about the party supremo`s statement that elections could take place as early as November this year, the UP CM said "political developments and media reports hint at such a possibility".
Yesterday, Mulayam had told reporters,"Congress used to take support by threatening. I supported the UPA government in bad times but Congress has put CBI after me."
To the BJP`s charge that the SP, by supporting the UPA, was acting under pressure fearing CBI action against some of its top leaders, Akhilesh evaded a direct reply but said "it is a fact that anybody who does not act according to the wishes of the Congress party, faces persecution through CBI".
The UP CM also claimed that his party will "come out with its best-ever performance" in the Lok Sabha polls as "people will weigh our pro-people initiatives against the previous corrupt BSP regime in the state.
Besides, widespread dissatisfaction with the Centre will cost the Congress heavily across the country and in UP we will be the biggest gainers".
Without naming the Congress or the BJP, Akhilesh also said, "parties which struggled to get 5,000-10,000 votes in the Assembly polls in most of the constituencies will be able to win not more than 4-5 seats out of 80 in Lok Sabha elections".
He parried a question as to whether the SP will put pressure on the Congress to sack Union minister and friend-turned-foe of Mulayam Singh Yadav, Beni Prasad Verma, who has of late made a number of stinging remarks against SP.
Earlier, the Chief Minister inaugurated a new building complex of the UP Bar Council here.
On the law and order situation in the state, Akhilseh said his government was "fully committed to maintain law and order by taking tough action against those guilty of anti-social conduct as well as any officials whose laxity could be blamed for such situations".
In a veiled criticism of media, Yadav also said "I feel surprised that news channels of no other state spend so much time expressing alarm about law and order situation".
Stating that lawyers played "a very important role in framing of government policies as well as galvanising public opinion", the Chief Minister announced a slew of measures for the betterment of legal practitioners.
The announcements include, an additional grant of Rs 40 crore for `Adhivakta Nidhi` - a fund for the welfare of advocates - and promised to consider demands like raising insurance cover for advocates from Rs 1.5 lakh to Rs five lakh and introducing a pension scheme for lawyers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'