Akhilesh Yadav defends suspension of IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday defended his government`s move to suspend Gautam Budh Nagar SDM Durga Shakti Nagpal, saying the decision taken was right.
Speaking to reporters, Yadav said her action (of allegedly razing a religious structure`s wall) did merit such an action.
The step taken by the IAS officer could have disturbed situation in the state, the CM said, adding the decision to suspend her was right.
"The government has taken the right step. Communal harmony must not be disturbed," he stated.
He refuted allegations that the decision to suspend Nagpal was taken because of any mining group.
"The government takes decision based on actions by officer," Yadav said, denying claims that the IAS officer`s action against sand mafia led to her suspension.
Hitting out at the IAS officers` association for demanding revocation of Nagpal`s suspension, the Samajwadi Party leader asked, "When an IAS officer mysteriously died some time back, where was the IAS association then?"
He also hit out at the opposition BSP, saying, "One party is trying to give us lessons in honesty. All have seen how honest it (BSP) was for five years in UP."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- No blanket ban on pellet guns in Kashmir Valley, to be used in 'rarest of rare cases'
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4