Akhilesh Yadav defends suspension of IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday defended his government`s move to suspend Gautam Budh Nagar SDM Durga Shakti Nagpal, saying the decision taken was right.
Speaking to reporters, Yadav said her action (of allegedly razing a religious structure`s wall) did merit such an action.
The step taken by the IAS officer could have disturbed situation in the state, the CM said, adding the decision to suspend her was right.
"The government has taken the right step. Communal harmony must not be disturbed," he stated.
He refuted allegations that the decision to suspend Nagpal was taken because of any mining group.
"The government takes decision based on actions by officer," Yadav said, denying claims that the IAS officer`s action against sand mafia led to her suspension.
Hitting out at the IAS officers` association for demanding revocation of Nagpal`s suspension, the Samajwadi Party leader asked, "When an IAS officer mysteriously died some time back, where was the IAS association then?"
He also hit out at the opposition BSP, saying, "One party is trying to give us lessons in honesty. All have seen how honest it (BSP) was for five years in UP."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch