All efforts on to secure release of Indian hostages: Govt
New Delhi: The government Thursday it is
making all efforts to seek the early release of 64 Indians held hostage by Somali pirates, including six on board an Egyptian cargo ship hijacked in the Gulf of Aden, in August last year.
"I share the anxiety and concerns of the family members
and we are making all efforts to ensure the safety of Indians
and also to expedite their release," Shipping Minister G K
Vasan told reporters here after meeting about 6-7 families of
the Indian sailors taken hostage.
Talking about the six hostages on board the cargo ship M
V Suez, he said the captured ship belongs to an Egyptian
company and India would use diplomatic channels for their
release and safety.
Vasan said his ministry officials are in touch with their
counterparts in the Ministry of External Affairs on the issue
but refused to elaborate the steps taken by the government.
"I would like to emphasise that any step taken by the
government has to be discreet and cannot be discussed in
public domain while the process is on," Vasan said, adding he
reviewed the steps taken in an internal meeting of his ministry earlier in the day.
According to the Shipping Ministry`s data, out of 214
Indians held hostage by Somali pirates during 2007-11, 150
sailors have been released so far.
"This shows that the efforts taken to release the
hostages have borne fruit," Vasan said.
However, family members of the hostage Indian sailors,
who met the Shipping Minister here today, were unhappy with
the government efforts and said they are getting assurances
only but no positive results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...