All efforts on to secure release of Indian hostages: Govt
New Delhi: The government Thursday it is
making all efforts to seek the early release of 64 Indians held hostage by Somali pirates, including six on board an Egyptian cargo ship hijacked in the Gulf of Aden, in August last year.
"I share the anxiety and concerns of the family members
and we are making all efforts to ensure the safety of Indians
and also to expedite their release," Shipping Minister G K
Vasan told reporters here after meeting about 6-7 families of
the Indian sailors taken hostage.
Talking about the six hostages on board the cargo ship M
V Suez, he said the captured ship belongs to an Egyptian
company and India would use diplomatic channels for their
release and safety.
Vasan said his ministry officials are in touch with their
counterparts in the Ministry of External Affairs on the issue
but refused to elaborate the steps taken by the government.
"I would like to emphasise that any step taken by the
government has to be discreet and cannot be discussed in
public domain while the process is on," Vasan said, adding he
reviewed the steps taken in an internal meeting of his ministry earlier in the day.
According to the Shipping Ministry`s data, out of 214
Indians held hostage by Somali pirates during 2007-11, 150
sailors have been released so far.
"This shows that the efforts taken to release the
hostages have borne fruit," Vasan said.
However, family members of the hostage Indian sailors,
who met the Shipping Minister here today, were unhappy with
the government efforts and said they are getting assurances
only but no positive results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says