All efforts to solve terror cases: MHA
New Delhi: Peeved over Opposition`s remarks
on cracking of terror cases, the government on Thursday said it was
"sparing no efforts" to solve such incidents and punish the
The Ministry of Home Affairs, in a brief statement, said
39 of the 46 cases related to major terrorist strikes that
rocked the country in the last decade have been solved by the
"Government`s attention has been drawn to a statement
made by the spokesperson of a political party that no case of
terror has been solved by the investigating agencies in the
last eight years.
"... Since May, 2000 there have been 46 major terrorist
incidents. Of these, all but 7 cases have been solved. In 9
cases, convictions have been obtained. In the remaining 30
cases, charge sheets have been filed in 29 cases and trial has
commenced in 19 cases. Two cases ended in acquittal and
appeals have been preferred," the MHA said.
BJP had recently expressed concerns over the terror
attacks in different parts of the country and alleged that the
government failed to solve them satisfactorily.
The MHA said that of the seven "unsolved" cases, four are
close to being solved.
It said that the recent busting of an Indian Mujahideen
(IM) module has revealed that the terror group was responsible
for bomb blast at German Bakery, Pune on February 13, 2010,
blast near Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru in April 2010, Jama
Masjid shootout and blast on September 19, 2010 and 13/7
serial blasts in Mumbai.
"As regards the German Bakery case, one charge sheet has
been filed, one of the accused is facing trial, and six
accused have been declared absconders," it said.
The MHA said that some of the terror cases, including
Malegaon blasts (2006 and 2008), Samjhauta Express blast
(2007), Mecca masjid blast (2007), Ajmer dargah blast (2007)
and cases of blast in Modassa, Gujarat (2008) are being
"reinvestigated or further investigated".
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has arrested
Nabakumar Sarkar - Swami Aseemanand, Lokesh Sharma, Devender
Gupta and some others.
Recently, NIA arrested Kamal Chouhan, in connection with
the probe in Samjhauta Express blast case, and "it is expected
that more arrests will be made leading to the solving of the
It further said "that the government and the
investigating agencies are sparing no effort to solve every
terror case and bring the perpetrators to justice".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda