All-party meet for smooth Parliament session ends
New Delhi: The all-party meeting convened by the UPA government to ensure the smooth functioning of Parliament during Monsoon Session, which begins on August 5, ended peacefully on Thursday.
The meeting was called as the government is keen to ensure major bills get approved by Parliament in the Monsoon Session.
Ahead of the meeting, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath stated that among those in attendance from the government side would be Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who is also the Leader of the Lok Sabha.
The meeting was attended by leaders from parties from both the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha. The aim was to reach an understanding on the smooth running of the two Houses.
Government sources said the UPA is keen to get the Food Security Ordinance and several economic reform bills related to the pension and insurance sectors passed.
The government is also aiming to ensure the passage of a pending bill which will allow foreign universities to set up shop in India.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!