All party meet on poll reforms soon: Khurshid
New Delhi: Seeking a consensus on electoral
reforms, government plans to convene an all-party-meeting to
discuss issues like decriminalisation of politics, right to
reject and state funding of elections.
Also on the agenda of the meeting would be matters like
audit of accounts of political parties, review of the
anti-defection law, regulation of media in the context of paid
news and de-registration of non-serious parties.
"The electoral reforms proposals are ready in a crisp
form. They will be discussed at various levels including at an
all party consultation hopefully soon after Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh returns (from a foreign visit)," Law Minister
Salman Khurshid told reporters here.
He said government would move the amendments related to
electoral reforms after a consensus is reached on them.
The Law Ministry proposals on electoral reforms include
barring candidates against whom charges have been framed in
cases of heinous crimes besides limited state funding of
The proposals include change in Representation of the
People Act to provide for state funding for women and
Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes` candidates of
recognised political parties.
To get this benefit, candidates should not have an annual
income of more than Rs five lakh and movable or immovable
property worth more than Rs 22 lakh.
The limit would also include the income and assets of the
candidates` spouses, the sources said.
Another proposal makes it mandatory for candidates and
their parties to submit their accounts for audit by an agency
authorised only by the Comptroller and Auditor General.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'