All procedures followed during adoption of JPC report: Chacko
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of Opposition parties terming the JPC report on 2G scam as a "fraud", panel chief PC Chacko on Wednesday claimed he had followed due procedure in adopting the document and gave members sufficient time to raise objections to the draft.
BJP leader and JPC member Yashwant Sinha has suggested moving a "no confidence" against Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar for not allowing Opposition members speak on the issue when the report was tabled in the lower house on Monday.
Chacko today issued a statement saying he followed all procedures during the adoption of the report.
He also said while rules governing standing committees do now allow dissent notes, he gave members sufficient time to file their dissent on the report.
"The draft JPC report was circulated on April 18, 2013... Thereafter, it was taken up for consideration and adoption on September 27, 2013... During this period of five months, no member of the JPC ever gave any notice of amendments to the draft report," Chacko said.
He said at the time of voting, no member raised any objection "to the manner of deciding and adopting the report and had voluntarily and willingly participated in the voting".
He said during the period between the date of adoption of the report and the day it was presented the Speaker on October 29, "not a single member wrote to the Speaker stating any objection about the procedure followed for adoption.
"It is only in the month of November and December, after the report has been published and circulated, that some members raised the matter of manner of adoption of report with the Speaker."
The report was tabled after the Speaker disallowed any debate on the issue at the presentation stage during Zero Hour.
This prompted members of DMK, UPA`s erstwhile partner, and Opposition members, including those from BJP, Left, Trinamool Congress, BJD and Shiromani Akali Dal, to stand up in protest.
Yashwant Sinha, Harin Pathak (both BJP), Gurudas Dasgupta (CPI) and Kalyan Banerjee (Trinamool) shouted that the report was a "fraud" on the Constitution, while DMK members walked out of the House.
The controversial report gave a clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the 2G spectrum scam saying he was "misled" by the then Telecom Minister A Raja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened