All quiet at Line of Control, day after six-hour firing
Jammu: There were no reports of any exchange of fire Monday along the Line of Control (LoC) Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch district after more than six hours of gunfire between Indian and Pakistani armies the day before but tension persisted, army sources said here.
The gunfire duel started at 9 am on Sunday after Pakistani troops opened fire on Indian positions - Kranti and Kirpan posts manned by 17 Mahar of the Indian Army - at Krishna Ghati in Mendhar area of the district, about 200 km north of Jammu. One Indian soldier was injured in the firing from across the LoC.
There has been no incident of firing after 3 pm on Sunday. "Until this morning, there were no reports of any other incident of firing on the LoC," an Army source told a news agency on Monday. "But there is tension in the air."
Army sources refused to speculate on the reasons behind the Pakistani Army`s "unprovoked" actions along the LoC that divides Jammu and Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
"We have communicated to the Army headquarters the nature of the hostile action on the LoC by the Pakistani army, that`s all," an official said.
Both sides are expected to meet at a flag meeting on Monday. They will exchange notes on the increasing incidents of firing along the LoC. India will protest against Pakistan`s actions, the source said.
As far as the Indian side is concerned, the Army is alert, because the LoC is also the favourite infiltration route for terrorists to sneak into Indian territory. Moreover, Pakistan`s ceasefire violations - four times this month - have raised the level of tension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees