All UPA allies on board on Food Bill Ordinance: Thomas
New Delhi: A day before the Cabinet considers issuing an Ordinance to implement government`s ambitious National Food Security Bill, Food Minister K V Thomas on Wednesday said all UPA allies, including NCP, are on board and there was a consensus on issuing an ordinance.
The Food Security Bill, a pet project of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, was tabled in the Budget session of Parliament but could not be taken up for discussion due to pandemonium in the Lok Sabha over various scams. However, government is keen on issuing an Ordinance for early implementation of the Bill.
"A political call has been taken on this (bringing an Ordinance to Food Bill). This is an important legislation. Discussions have been made at different levels and there is consensus. The Bill is coming for discussion before the Cabinet tomorrow," Thomas said.
Asked if all allies especially NCP are on board on this issue, Thomas said: "Everybody in UPA government are together for Food Bill Ordinance."
NCP leader and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar had earlier aired reservations on bringing an Ordinance to Food Bill. However, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is believed to have discussed with Pawar and cleared all his apprehensions.
The Bill aims to give legal rights to 67 per cent of the population over a uniform quantity of 5 kg foodgrains at a fixed price of Rs 1-3 per kg through ration shops.
On Opposition`s criticism that the government is simply hurrying to implement the Bill without proper discussion in Parliament, Thomas said, "In the last two sessions, (even) Question Hour was not allowed to function in Parliament. It was (a) very sad situation. We have to go ahead...
"It is one of the reasons that we have taken the Ordinance route so that we can initiate groundwork for smooth implementation of the Bill."
Emphasising that the Food Bill is a political commitment of the UPA government, the Minister said, "In 2009, then President had made a statement on Food Bill in Parliament. It is a political commitment, we have to tell people that we are serious about the Bill."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living