Allahabad HC advocates write to Prez for Dutt`s clemency
Allahabad: Two advocates of the Allahabad High Court have petitioned the President for granting pardon to Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who was recently sentenced to five years in prison by the Supreme Court in an Arms Act case.
The clemency petition was e-mailed to the President`s office by advocates Brij Bhushan Paul and HN Mehrotra.
In their petition, a copy of which has been made available here, the advocates have made an appeal, "on their own behalf and on behalf of majority of like-minded advocates of the Allahabad High Court" to grant pardon to Dutt, besides keeping in abeyance the execution of the sentence awarded by the Apex court "pending final decision of the matter by Your Excellency".
Describing Dutt as a person belonging to "a respectable family", the advocates said he has "already undergone imprisonment for eighteen months," which was "sufficient to cater to the very purpose of law and his conviction".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends