Allahabad HC advocates write to Prez for Dutt`s clemency
Allahabad: Two advocates of the Allahabad High Court have petitioned the President for granting pardon to Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who was recently sentenced to five years in prison by the Supreme Court in an Arms Act case.
The clemency petition was e-mailed to the President`s office by advocates Brij Bhushan Paul and HN Mehrotra.
In their petition, a copy of which has been made available here, the advocates have made an appeal, "on their own behalf and on behalf of majority of like-minded advocates of the Allahabad High Court" to grant pardon to Dutt, besides keeping in abeyance the execution of the sentence awarded by the Apex court "pending final decision of the matter by Your Excellency".
Describing Dutt as a person belonging to "a respectable family", the advocates said he has "already undergone imprisonment for eighteen months," which was "sufficient to cater to the very purpose of law and his conviction".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder