Alleged sexual harassment of lady judge figures in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The issue of alleged sexual harassment of a lady judge in Gwalior was raised in the Rajya Sabha today with senior lawyer and nominated member KTS Tulsi demanding immediate action on her complaint saying it would otherwise demoralise lady judges in the country.
Complaining of sexual harassment by a judge of Madhya Pradesh High Court, the additional judge had resigned on July 15 and wrote to the Chief Justice of India and others on August 1 in this regard.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Tulsi said there has been an "inordinate delay" in examining the allegations of the lady judge.
Noting that the lady judge had an excellent performance record, he said repeated demands were made to her by a High Court judge to come to his residence and "dance to an item song".
He said that according to reports, the lady judge complained about the misconduct on July 22 and "on July 8, she was transferred" as "punishment".
"On July 15, she resigned out of disgust" in spite of a brilliant career ahead her, Tulsi said.
Insisting that no judge in the country has any Constitutional immunity against crime and this episode has "nothing to do with the official duty of a judge", the member regretted that no action has been taken in the matter so far.
He said delay in holding inquiry into such matters will only demoralise other lady judges and urged the House to ask the Chief Justice of India to act expeditiously in the matter.
A number of members associated with Tusli`s demand.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, however, said it is a matter, which is "to be considered by the Chief Justice of India and not us".
The issue was earlier raised in Lok Sabha. Government has already said that the matter should be expeditiously probed and if charges were found true, action should follow to restore public confidence in the institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan