Alleged sexual harassment of lady judge figures in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The issue of alleged sexual harassment of a lady judge in Gwalior was raised in the Rajya Sabha today with senior lawyer and nominated member KTS Tulsi demanding immediate action on her complaint saying it would otherwise demoralise lady judges in the country.
Complaining of sexual harassment by a judge of Madhya Pradesh High Court, the additional judge had resigned on July 15 and wrote to the Chief Justice of India and others on August 1 in this regard.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Tulsi said there has been an "inordinate delay" in examining the allegations of the lady judge.
Noting that the lady judge had an excellent performance record, he said repeated demands were made to her by a High Court judge to come to his residence and "dance to an item song".
He said that according to reports, the lady judge complained about the misconduct on July 22 and "on July 8, she was transferred" as "punishment".
"On July 15, she resigned out of disgust" in spite of a brilliant career ahead her, Tulsi said.
Insisting that no judge in the country has any Constitutional immunity against crime and this episode has "nothing to do with the official duty of a judge", the member regretted that no action has been taken in the matter so far.
He said delay in holding inquiry into such matters will only demoralise other lady judges and urged the House to ask the Chief Justice of India to act expeditiously in the matter.
A number of members associated with Tusli`s demand.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, however, said it is a matter, which is "to be considered by the Chief Justice of India and not us".
The issue was earlier raised in Lok Sabha. Government has already said that the matter should be expeditiously probed and if charges were found true, action should follow to restore public confidence in the institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Why are people going so crazy over Reliance Jio test SIM
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China