Alleged tax evasion detected in Purti transactions
New Delhi: The Income Tax department has detected alleged tax evasion to the tune of Rs 7 crore in the business transactions of Purti group of companies related to former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari.
Probing the alleged dubious transactions of the Purti Power and Sugar Limited (PPSL) since 2012, the department has completed assessments pertaining to the last two financial years and has found evasion to the tune of more than Rs 7 crore, top official sources said.
The Purti group, in its reaction, said it had not received any notice in this regard. A notice is not any indicator of any wrongdoing, it said, adding that Gadkari was not associated with the Purti group for the last two years.
"Our attention has been drawn to reports in a section of media that the Income Tax department is serving a tax assessment notice to the Purti Group for the last two assessment years. We would like to make it clear that neither the Purti group nor any functionary of the Purti group has received any notice so far," Nitin Kulkarni, PRO of Purti Group said in a statement.
"If any tax assessment notice is received, our MD Sudhir Dive in consultation with our tax advisors will give an appropriate response. However, a tax assessment notice is a routine procedure. There are different levels of appeal at various stages. The Purti group will deal with the matter.
"The tax assessment notice is certainly not any indication of wrong doing. We would like to place on record the fact that Nitin Gadkari has not been associated with the Purti group for last two years," Kulkarni added.
The I-T department has begun the final scrutiny of documents of all the Purti group companies and the other assessments would be completed by the year end, the official sources said.
While preparing the final assessment orders, the department has taken into cognisance the statement of Gadkari and other senior officials of Purti group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note