Allies back UPA`s stand on JPC probe in 2G issue
New Delhi: UPA allies Monday expressed full support to government on its refusal to agree to a JPC probe into 2G Spectrum scam, an issue that has paralysed Parliament proceedings for the last 12 consecutive working days.
Against the backdrop of some UPA constituents appearing
not being averse to JPC probe, the government today held a
luncheon meeting of its allies to devise a common strategy,
particularly in view of the all-party meet called by the Lok
Sabha Speaker tomorrow on ending the logjam.
After the nearly two-hour meeting attended by UPA
constituents NCP, DMK, TMC and NC, Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee again appealed to the Opposition to give up its
demand for a JPC probe.
"Yesterday I made an appeal to different political parties
including L K Advani and Leader of Opposition (in Lok Sabha) .....I am renewing my appeal to the Opposition," Mukherjee told reporters.
He said in the meeting he had "shared the situation" with
the UPA allies but did not elaborate.
Agriculture Minister and NCP leader Sharad Pawar said the
UPA constituents decided on a "collective approach" to the
NC leader Farooq Abdullah said, "We will remain united in
our stand against JPC."
DMK leader Tiruchi Siva, whose party had earlier given
indications that it was not averse to JPC, said it backed the
government`s position of "no JPC".
"We have decided to go ahead with the business as
scheduled and run the House," Siva said, indicating that the
UPA was in no mood to adjourn Parliament sine die despite the
government-opposition stand-off which is making it clear that
the whole Winter session may be washed out.
Pawar added that the UPA would wait for the Opposition`s
TMC, which had earlier said that it was not opposed to a
JPC probe if it was needed to run the House, also backed the
government`s firm stand on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security