`Allow Hindus to pray at Bhojshala on Friday Basant Panchmi`
Allahabad: A group of Hindu religious leaders at the ongoing Maha Kumbh mela have demanded that devotees be allowed to offer prayers at the disputed `Bhojshala` in Madhya Pradesh`s Dhar district on `Basant Panchmi` which falls on February 15, a Friday.
Bhojshala is an ancient Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) protected monument which Hindus believe is a temple of goddess Waghdevi (Saraswati) while Muslims treat it as a place of worship for them.
As per an ASI arrangement, Hindus perform puja in the premises every Tuesday, while Muslims offer Namaz on Fridays.
With `Basant Panchami` falling on Friday this year, Shankaracharya Narendranand Saraswati in a statement yesterday urged the MP government to take appropriate steps and allow Hindus to perform their prayers or else he said, "the state (MP) government should be ready to face its consequences".
The religious leader alleged that in 2006 when Basant Panchami had fallen on a Friday, Hindus were prevented from offering prayers.
Mahamandaleshwar Yatindra Giri, another signatory to the statement, said religious leaders would leave Kumbh mid-way and proceed to Bhojshala if a similar incident was repeated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni