Allowances and travel benefits of MPs hiked
New Delhi: In a virtual Diwali bonanza, MPs will now get enhanced daily allowances and travel facilities from this month onwards.
Official sources said with effect from October one, a member is entitled to a daily allowance of Rs 2,000 per day during any period of residence on duty.
Besides, he/she is entitled to a road mileage of Rs 16 per kilometer.
Apart from these facilities, the spouse of an MP will also be able to enjoy better travel amenities.
Now, an MP`s spouse can travel any number of times, in first class air-conditioned or executive class in any train from the place of residence of the Member to Delhi and back.
Besides, when the Parliament is in session, the spouse can travel by air or partly by air and partly by rail.
This is, however, subject to the condition that the total number of such air journeys shall not exceed eight in a year.
Similarly, a member is entitled to a conveyance advance to a maximum amount of Rs four lakh for purchase of conveyance from this month.
The salary and pension also stand substantially enhanced with effect from May 18 last year.
The salary of MPs will now be Rs 50,000 as against Rs 16,000 earlier while the minimum pension will now be Rs 20,000 per month as against around Rs 8,000 previously.
The members will get additional pension of Rs 1,500 per month for every year he/she had served as an MP in addition of five years.
The enhanced pay and allowances follow the notification in the gazette of the Salary, Allowances and Pension of Members of Parliament (Amendment) Act 2010 on September 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3