Allowances and travel benefits of MPs hiked
New Delhi: In a virtual Diwali bonanza, MPs will now get enhanced daily allowances and travel facilities from this month onwards.
Official sources said with effect from October one, a member is entitled to a daily allowance of Rs 2,000 per day during any period of residence on duty.
Besides, he/she is entitled to a road mileage of Rs 16 per kilometer.
Apart from these facilities, the spouse of an MP will also be able to enjoy better travel amenities.
Now, an MP`s spouse can travel any number of times, in first class air-conditioned or executive class in any train from the place of residence of the Member to Delhi and back.
Besides, when the Parliament is in session, the spouse can travel by air or partly by air and partly by rail.
This is, however, subject to the condition that the total number of such air journeys shall not exceed eight in a year.
Similarly, a member is entitled to a conveyance advance to a maximum amount of Rs four lakh for purchase of conveyance from this month.
The salary and pension also stand substantially enhanced with effect from May 18 last year.
The salary of MPs will now be Rs 50,000 as against Rs 16,000 earlier while the minimum pension will now be Rs 20,000 per month as against around Rs 8,000 previously.
The members will get additional pension of Rs 1,500 per month for every year he/she had served as an MP in addition of five years.
The enhanced pay and allowances follow the notification in the gazette of the Salary, Allowances and Pension of Members of Parliament (Amendment) Act 2010 on September 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE