Alphonse, Rajagopal may contest on BJP ticket
Kochi: The BJP is likely to field former bureaucrat KJ Alphonse and former central minister O Rajagopal in the Lok Sabha election, party sources said Friday.
The decision has been taken at a party meeting here, the sources told IANS. The names would be formally announced soon once the party`s national leadership gives the green signal.
The Bharatiya Janata Party has never won a Lok Sabha seat in Kerala, which elects 20 members.
Rajagopal, 84, will contest this time too from Thiruvananthapuram, where he finished a close third in 2004 with V.S. Sivakumar of the Congress coming second.
In 2011, Alphonse, after finishing a five-year stint as an independent legislator of the Left Democratic Front, did not seek re-election and instead joined the BJP.
Alphonse is being considered for the Kottayam or Pathanamthitta seat, the sources said.
The other likely BJP candidates will be CK Padmanabhan, PS Sreedharan Pillai, PK Krishna Das, K Surendran, Shoba Surendran, AN Radhakrishnan and AT Ramesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report