Aman Kachru ragging case: Verdict on Nov 11
Dharamsala: A court in this Himachal Pradesh town on Saturday reserved its order in the 2009 ragging-to-death case of medical student Aman Kachru. The verdict will now be pronounced on November 11.
After hearing the arguments of the prosecution and defence, Additional District and Sessions Judge Purinder Vaidya said that the judgement would be pronounced on November 11.
Aman, 19, died March 8, 2009, after being allegedly ragged by final-year students - Ajay Verma, Naveen Verma, Abhinav Verma and Mukul Sharma - of Rajendra Prasad Medical College and Hospital in Tanda, some 65 from here.
Special Public Prosecutor Jiwan Lal Sharma pleaded on Saturday that Aman was brutally beaten up under the garb of ragging by his seniors and he succumbed to his injuries.
The defence, who concluded their arguments on Friday, contended that Aman was a heart patient and that could be one of the reasons for his death.
Sharma said the court has recorded the statement of 38 witnesses, comprising doctors and police personnel and Aman`s father Rajendra Kachru during the trial.
Appearing in court for the first time in the case on August 28 this year, Rajendra Kachru said his son spoke to him in detail about the incident of ragging that occurred in the college.
"Aman even told me that he had given in writing a complaint to college authorities regarding the (ragging) incident. Three to four hours after I got the phone call from Aman, somebody informed me on telephone from the college that he had passed away," Rajendra Kachru told the court.
The prosecution said Kachru`s deposition was important as Aman`s roommate Ashish Saklani had already recorded his statement in the court that the victim spoke at length with his father about the ragging incident.
The court also re-examined two doctors - Harjeet Pal Singh of the ENT (ear, nose and throat) department, and DP Swami, assistant professor of forensic medicine department of the hospital.
Singh was on duty when he examined Aman`s ears a few hours after the ragging incident, while Swami conducted the post-mortem examination.
The trial court on August 2 resumed the trial against the four students after they surrendered on cancellation of their bail by the Himachal Pradesh High Court.
The magisterial inquiry conducted by the state government into Aman`s death has concluded that he died due to ragging.
The inquiry report said many first-year students, including Aman, were subjected to intense physical ragging on March 7, 2009.
"Kachru collapsed and died due to injuries which the post-mortem report has linked to the incident of ragging," said the report, holding college principal Suresh Sankhyan, responsible for the lapses.
Sankhyan resigned from the post after the incident.
After Aman`s death, the state government passed an anti-ragging Act, making ragging a cognisable, non-bailable offence.
Any student convicted of an offence can be punished with up to three years jail or a fine of up to Rs 50,000 or both.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow