Amar Singh, civil society trade charges
New Delhi: A fresh war of words broke out on Thursday between Amar Singh and civil society representatives after police indicated that the CD containing a purported conversation among the expelled SP leader, lawyer Shanti
Bhushan and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was not tampered with.
While Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh demanded resignation of father-son duo Shanti Bhushan and Prashant Bhushan from the Lokpal Bill drafting committee, the civil society members raised doubts over the forensic test report.
"At least on moral grounds Bhushans should quit the panel (drafting committee) and Anna Hazare should replace them with someone more credible," Singh told reporters.
The purported telephone conversation among Shanti Bhushan, co-chairman of the Lokpal Bill drafting committee, Yadav and Singh indicated attempts at influencing a judge.
Countering Singh`s demand, human right activist Swami Agnivesh expressed surprise over conflicting forensic reports on the same CD.
"It is surprising that CFSL report claims the CD is not doctored. American experts have confirmed tampering, so CFSL report cannot be trusted fully," he told reporters.
"It is a conspiracy against the anti-corruption movement led by Anna Hazare. There should be an investigation as to how this CD of 2006 came out suddenly and who is responsible for it," he said.
Agnivesh demanded that the CD should be verified from more laboratories.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh attacked Shanti Bhushan for getting the CD verified on his own.
"Shanti Bhushan does investigation on his own saying I am clean. This is a new way of investigating charges. I think this is intriguing that this crusaders of corruption, father-son duo, does not find corruption in allotment of two
pieces of land in Noida," he said.
Another member of the Lokpal Bill drafting committee Arvind Kejriwal refused to comment on the controversy.
"I don`t have anything to say. Talk to Prashant Bhushan. I am here to draft the Lokpal Bill. My motive is not to get into this. My aim is that the country gets a good
anti-corruption law. I am devoting all my energies to it and don`t want to divert focus," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM