Amar Singh, civil society trade charges
New Delhi: A fresh war of words broke out on Thursday between Amar Singh and civil society representatives after police indicated that the CD containing a purported conversation among the expelled SP leader, lawyer Shanti
Bhushan and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was not tampered with.
While Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh demanded resignation of father-son duo Shanti Bhushan and Prashant Bhushan from the Lokpal Bill drafting committee, the civil society members raised doubts over the forensic test report.
"At least on moral grounds Bhushans should quit the panel (drafting committee) and Anna Hazare should replace them with someone more credible," Singh told reporters.
The purported telephone conversation among Shanti Bhushan, co-chairman of the Lokpal Bill drafting committee, Yadav and Singh indicated attempts at influencing a judge.
Countering Singh`s demand, human right activist Swami Agnivesh expressed surprise over conflicting forensic reports on the same CD.
"It is surprising that CFSL report claims the CD is not doctored. American experts have confirmed tampering, so CFSL report cannot be trusted fully," he told reporters.
"It is a conspiracy against the anti-corruption movement led by Anna Hazare. There should be an investigation as to how this CD of 2006 came out suddenly and who is responsible for it," he said.
Agnivesh demanded that the CD should be verified from more laboratories.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh attacked Shanti Bhushan for getting the CD verified on his own.
"Shanti Bhushan does investigation on his own saying I am clean. This is a new way of investigating charges. I think this is intriguing that this crusaders of corruption, father-son duo, does not find corruption in allotment of two
pieces of land in Noida," he said.
Another member of the Lokpal Bill drafting committee Arvind Kejriwal refused to comment on the controversy.
"I don`t have anything to say. Talk to Prashant Bhushan. I am here to draft the Lokpal Bill. My motive is not to get into this. My aim is that the country gets a good
anti-corruption law. I am devoting all my energies to it and don`t want to divert focus," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read