Amar Singh, Jaya Prada meet Maharashtra Governor to seek pardon for Sanjay Dutt
Mumbai: Expelled Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh and Lok Sabha MP from Rampur Jaya Prada today met Maharashtra governor K Sankaranarayanan, to seek pardon for actor Sanjay Dutt.
Dutt, who has already undergone imprisonment of 18 months, was on Thursday sentenced to five years imprisonment in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
"Amar Singh and Jaya Prada met the Governor (on the Sanjay Dutt issue) this evening," a Raj Bhawan spokesperson said.
Before arriving at the Raj Bhawan, the duo drove to the Bandra residence of Sanjay Dutt and met the actor.
Actor-turned-politician, Jaya Prada, had earlier said she was "heartbroken" at the news of Sanjay Dutt`s jail term pronounced by the Supreme Court and called him an "innocent person", who had been caught wrongly.
"He is an innocent person. It is very unfortunate. Knowingly or unknowingly, it has been written in his fate that he has to struggle like this. Particularly for Sanjay Dutt, if you see the background of his family and all. His father Sunil Dutt served a lot for the country and even in politics he had a very good name. And knowing his nature and character as a great father, and his son, he also...Innocently maybe...Has done something," Jaya Prada had said.
Amar Singh has been close to Dutt and was his mentor when the actor briefly dabbled in politics.
Earlier, several celebrities including Press Council of India chairman Markandey Katju, actor-turned-politicians Jaya Bachchan and Shatrughan Sinha had sought pardon for Dutt.
Sinha had joined Katju in appealing to the Maharashtra Governor to pardon Dutt after the Supreme Court upheld his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.
Katju has sought pardon for Dutt under Article 161 of the Constitution saying that he had not been found guilty of having played a role in the 1993 blasts and had suffered a lot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!