Amar Singh’s bail hearing deferred till Oct 18
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court, Wednesday, deferred Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh bail plea till October 18. He was arrested for his alleged role in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam.
Singh, undergoing treatment at AIIMS in judicial custody, is an accused along with BJP leader LK Advani’s former aide Sudheendra Kulkarni, former BJP MPs Faggan Singh Kulaste, Mahabir Singh Bhagora and activist Sohail Hindustani and Sanjeev Saxena in the cash-for-vote scam case.
Singh and others have been charge sheeted by the crime branch of Delhi Police. It has been alleged that Singh hatched a criminal conspiracy to bribe the then BJP MPs to influence their voting on the confidence motion in the Lok Sabha on July 22, 2008.
During the last hearing Justice Ajit Bharihoke had asked AIIMS where Singh is under treatment of his kidney-related ailments to submit its latest report on Singh`s health by today.
The court had also sought a report from the Delhi Police.
Singh had moved the High Court after a city court had on September 28 rejected both his interim and regular bail pleas saying his role was "major" in the entire episode aimed at "disgracing" parliamentary democracy.
Singh has been seeking bail on health conditions, which, as per the last AIIMS report submitted to the trial court, has been showing "overall improvement" although his renal condition as assessed as prone to infection and needed constant monitoring.
Singh was arrested on September 6 after he appeared before the trial court of Special Judge Sangita Dhingra Sehgal in response to summons for his alleged involvement in the cash-for-vote scam.
He was, however, taken to AIIMS from Tihar Jail on September 12 evening after a bout of vomitting and diarrhoea and was later granted interim bail on September 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert