Amarnath pilgrimage to start July 1
Jammu: The annual Amarnath pilgrimage to a cave shrine devoted to Hindu God Shiva, located in south Kashmir, will start July 1 and last till Aug 24 this year, according to an official of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board.
The annual pilgrimage to the shrine, located at a height of 13,500 feet above sea level, attracts nearly half-a-million Hindu devotees every year.
According to the chief executive officer of the shrine board RK Goyal, the decision to start the pilgrimage from July 1 this year has been taken because of the difficulties faced by the pilgrims in the initial days of the pilgrimage which started June 16 last year.
The shrine board also studied the pattern of pilgrim inflow of the past 15 years before reaching this decision.
According to Goyal, the board has decided to provide free Rs.100,000 insurance cover to each of the pilgrims visiting the shrine.
These decisions were taken at a meeting in New Delhi Tuesday evening, according to an official release.
The Amarnath shrine`s main attraction is a lingam made of ice.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!