Amarnath pilgrims’ death: BJP blames Centre, J&K govt
New Delhi: Expressing concern over the death of more than 60 Amarnath pilgrims, BJP today charged that a "lethargic" Jammu and Kashmir government and the Centre as well as the curtailing of the yatra`s duration "under pressure from separatists" were responsible for it.
"One of the highest revered and most religious pilgrimage centres of Hindus has become a target of Jammu and Kashmir government`s lethargic approach and a complete lack of facilities and infrastructure resulting in one of the highest number of deaths of pilgrims on their way to the shrine. This is most deplorable," BJP spokesperson Tarun Vijay said.
A delegation of BJP leaders will meet Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday and later call on Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra to press for action on the issue.
BJP alleged that the separatist elements have been demanding curtailment, stoppage and reducing the duration of the yatra.
"They have succeeded in reducing the duration of the yatra which has resulted in the tragic situation contributing to increasing number of deaths of the pilgrims. In just 17 days, more than 60 pilgrims have died," Vijay said.
According to reports, 67 pilgrims have died. Duration of the yatra was reduced from 60 to 39 days this year.
BJP insisted that those who have lost their lives are not just the old but even people in the age group of 22-26 as well as army jawans and "young, acclimatised" local porters.
Vjay chargedg the state government with showing apathy to the sufferings of the Amarnath pilgrims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- IPL 2016: Hilarious! When Umar Akmal congratulated David Warner-led SRH for winning Pakistan Super League
- London diaries: Saif Ali Khan, wifey Kareena Kapoor shopping at a departmental store – View pic
- I was told to slim down for 'Pearl Harbor': Kate Beckinsale
- Xiaomi launching Redmi 3A with 4,000mAh battery?
- Houston shooting: Two shot dead including suspect, six left wounded