Amarnath Shiv lingam melts completely
Zee Media Bureau
Kashmir: The naturally formed ice lingam of Lord Shiva at the Amarnath cave has completely melted, more than a month before the end of the pilgrimage.
Amarnath yatra started on June 28 this year and was scheduled to end on August 21. Around 2 lakh pilgrims have paid obeisance at the cave shrine till date. It remains to be seen whether pilgrims will continue to flock to the holy shrine now that the lingam has melted away.
Even before the beginning of the annual pilgrimage, almost 40 percent of the lingam had melted away - the lingam was only 8-feet tall this year.
The premature melting of the ‘Shiv lingam’ is rumoured to be the effect of either global warming or due to the heavy presence of pilgrims and security personnel inside the Amarnath cave.
Over 2 lakh people have visited the shrine till now.
Pilgrims start their journey to the 3880-metre-high cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas from both Baltal and Pahalgam base camps.
The distance from north Kashmir`s Baltal base camp to the cave shrine is around 14 km and the pilgrims are able to return after `Darshan` the same day.
However, the traditional south Kashmir route from Nunwan base camp to the cave is 45 km passing through Chandanwari, Sheshnag and Panchtarni halting stations. The one-way journey to the shrine on this route takes three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested