Amartya Sen favours right to food for all
New Delhi: Nobel laureate Amartya Sen has
stressed on the need for a firm recognition of the right to
food and a comprehensive legislation to guarantee it to
During the Eighth Kolkata Group Workshop, chaired by Sen
and attended by people from different walks of life, the nobel
laureate argued for creating durable legal entitlements that
guarantee the right to food in the country.
"A Right to Food Act covering justiciable food
entitlements should be non-discriminatory and universal.
Entitlements guaranteed by the Act should include food grains
from the Public Distribution System, school meals, nutrition
services for children below the age of six years, social
security provision, and allied programmes," a statement
released by the Group said.
It said the legislation should recognise that food and
nutritional security depends not just on food but on a set of
related interventions that promote women`s health, nutrition,
safe drinking water, proper sanitation and healthcare.
Over 50 participants from different walks of life --
policy makers, opinion leaders, social scientists, scholars,
activists and development experts had met in Kolkata on
February 15 and 16 to discuss dimensions of "injustice"
relating to elementary education, food security, health,
women`s work and non-discrimination.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels