Amartya Sen receives Humanities Medal from Obama
Washington: India-born Nobel laureate
Amartya Sen was felicitated with the prestigious
National Medals of Arts and Humanities award by US President
Barack Obama on Tuesday for his efforts to increase the understanding of
fighting hunger and poverty.
Sen, who won Nobel Prize in economics in 1998, was given
the award at a glittering White House function here.
"We even have an economist, which we don`t always get on
stage," Obama said referring to 78-year-old Sen, before he
presented the 2011 National Medal of Arts and National
"Sen is being awarded the 2011 National Humanities Medal
for his insights into the causes of poverty, famine, and
By applying philosophical thinking to questions of
policy, he has changed how standards of living are measured
and increased our understanding of how to fight hunger," said
the citation, read by a military aid of the US President.
The two Nobel Laureates (Obama and Sen) were seen
chatting on some issues during the award ceremony.
Sen also attended the White House reception hosted by
President Obama on this occasion.
The First Lady, Michelle
also attended the awards ceremony.
The 2011 National Medal of Arts were also awarded to Will
Barnet, Rita Dove, Al Pacino, Emily Rauh Pulitzer, Martin
Puryear, Mel Tillis, United Service Organization and Andr?
And the 2011 National Humanities Medal were given to
Kwame Anthony Appiah, John Ashbery, Robert Darnton, Andrew
Delbanco, National History Day, Charles Rosen sand Teofilo
Ruiz besides Sen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games