Ambedkar cartoon: Sibal apologises after Maya breaths fire
New Delhi: Human Resource Minister Kapil Sibal tendered an apology in the Lok Sabha after a cartoon of B R Ambedkar in Class XI NCERT text book created a storm in Parliament on Friday.
Sibal said, “I apologise, the whole nation respects Ambedkar. There won’t be any further distribution of books with the cartoon.”
Siban said that a committee, formed by the HRD Ministry, is already reviewing all such objectionable matters in textbooks and such content will be removed from NCERT text books next year.
The cartoon, by renowned cartoonist Shankar, depicts Nehru, with a whip in his hand, chasing Ambedkar, who is seated on a snail. In the cartoon, Nehru is asking Ambedkar to speed up the work on the constitution.
The issue was raised by Thol. Thirumavalavan of Viduthalai Chiruthaigal, a Tamil Nadu-based party, which led to members of BSP, SP, RJD, AIADMK and CPI rushed into the Well in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha carrying photocopies of the cartoon. Both Houses were repeatedly adjourned over the issue.
"This is an insult on Indian democracy. The government should intervene and take strong action against those, who are involved in this. If it failed to do so, we will wait for two to three days or else our party will not allow the House to run," Mayawati told reporters outside Parliament.
Earlier, leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee, said the printing of the cartoon in the textbook was "totally wrong" and that he "entirely" agreed with the sentiments of all sections of the House.
He said it would not have been possible for the constitution to be ready in the short span of three years without the tireless work of Ambedkar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?