Ambedkar cartoon: Sibal apologises after Maya breaths fire
New Delhi: Human Resource Minister Kapil Sibal tendered an apology in the Lok Sabha after a cartoon of B R Ambedkar in Class XI NCERT text book created a storm in Parliament on Friday.
Sibal said, “I apologise, the whole nation respects Ambedkar. There won’t be any further distribution of books with the cartoon.”
Siban said that a committee, formed by the HRD Ministry, is already reviewing all such objectionable matters in textbooks and such content will be removed from NCERT text books next year.
The cartoon, by renowned cartoonist Shankar, depicts Nehru, with a whip in his hand, chasing Ambedkar, who is seated on a snail. In the cartoon, Nehru is asking Ambedkar to speed up the work on the constitution.
The issue was raised by Thol. Thirumavalavan of Viduthalai Chiruthaigal, a Tamil Nadu-based party, which led to members of BSP, SP, RJD, AIADMK and CPI rushed into the Well in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha carrying photocopies of the cartoon. Both Houses were repeatedly adjourned over the issue.
"This is an insult on Indian democracy. The government should intervene and take strong action against those, who are involved in this. If it failed to do so, we will wait for two to three days or else our party will not allow the House to run," Mayawati told reporters outside Parliament.
Earlier, leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee, said the printing of the cartoon in the textbook was "totally wrong" and that he "entirely" agreed with the sentiments of all sections of the House.
He said it would not have been possible for the constitution to be ready in the short span of three years without the tireless work of Ambedkar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP