Ambika Soni accuses opposition of double standards
New Delhi: Accusing the opposition of
"double standards", Government on Monday asked why it was raising
the Lokpal issue outside while Parliament is in session.
"In democracy there is a platform for discussion on
every issue. Parliament is the best forum for discussion."
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told
reporters outside Parliament House here.
Opposition leaders yesterday joined the protest of Anna
Hazare demanding a strong Lokpal.
"Raising issues outside Parliament shows opposition`s
double standards. This is not acceptable," she said adding
"when we speak outside Parliament they say it is against
Soni said, "we also want strong Lokpal but it should be
discussed in Parliament."
Law Minister Salman Khurshid said, "Parliamentary
democracy is based on discussion and there should be
discussion on every issue."
Asked whether opposition did the right thing in
discussing Lokpal issue outside Parliament, Khurshid said
"this should also be discussed in Parliament."
Union Minister Farooq Abdullah said, "Parliament is
supreme. So, they (Opposition) should put forth their views
in Parliament which is the right forum".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital