Ambika Soni for self-regulation by Media
New Delhi: Defending the mechanism of self regulation for the Media, Information and Broadcasting minister Ambika Soni on Friday said that this slower but surer system only needed more time to establish itself.
Soni was speaking at an event hosted by ASSOCHAM where Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju had in his speech earlier heavily criticised the news media for not highlighting the real issues facing the country.
"Rules and regulations for media, cable, television, the Censor Board which the Parliament in its wisdom has put in its place should be at least given an initial chance of self regulation", Soni said responding to Katju.
Making a case for self regulation, Soni said that when a person is given the responsibility of deciding whether he has done the right thing by showing one hour of superstition or other illogical things, somewhere down the line his conscious is going to prick.
"May be this is a slow process but in my mind it is a surer process because we will be converting minds and hearts and that will be a long term advantage for our country. Let`s not condemn self regulation per se", Soni said.
Earlier speaking at the same event Katju said that the Indian media is highly commercialised and what mattered to the electronic media was high TRPs, which was the reason for channels showing astrology and not real issues.
Katju criticised the self regulatory mechanism set up by news channels and asked why the News Broadcasters Association or the Broadcast Editors Association had no record of taking action against erring channels.
Referring to Aishwarya Rai, Katju said that a film star`s pregnancy would have garnered top headlines but for the hue and cry he raised.
Speaking after Katju, Soni said that measures like Cable Digitalisation would improve the content on TV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?