Amendments in Transplantation to Human Organs Act
New Delhi: In an effort to tackle illegal
organ trade, Government today introduced amendments to the
existing Bill which would increase the ambit of near relatives
eligible to donate their organs, allow swapping of organs and
regulate the transplantation of organs for foreign nationals.
The amendments to the Transplantation to the Human Organs
Act, 1994, was introduced in the Lok Sabha today by Union
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad.
As per the amendments, the Act would now regulate the
transplantation of tissues also. The definition of "near
relatives" has been expanded to include grandfather,
grandmother, granddaughter and grandson.
It will be mandatory for the Intensive Care Units of any
hospital to request relatives of brain dead patients for organ
donation and to provide for the preserving of corneas by a
Further, it would be compulsory to include a surgeon or
a physician and an anaesthetist or intensivist in the medical
board in the event of non-availability of a neurosurgeon or a
neurologist for certification of brain death.
The amendments would also ensure regulation of the
transplantation of organs for foreign nationals to prevent the
exploitation of minors, to provide for swap donation of organs
which would be cleared by an all India authorisation
Azad said a new clause has also been introduced to
empower appropriate authorities to summon persons, seek
production of documents and issue search warrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened