Americans owe gratitude to Gandhiji: US envoy
New Delhi: The US today paid rich tributes to
Mahatma Gandhi saying Americans owe an "unfathomable debt" of
gratitude to him for "being the change he wanted to see in the
On the eve of the birth anniversary of Gandhiji, US
Ambassador Timothy J Roemer said the shining beacon of
Gandhiji`s example has never been more relevant.
"The light it offers the world has never been more
essential," he said in a statement.
"As Americans, we owe an unfathomable debt of gratitude
to Gandhiji for being the change he wanted to see in the
world," Roemer said.
He said Gandhiji was one of the greatest visionaries the
world has ever known.
The leaders of the US civil rights movement travelled
India more than 50 years ago on a pilgrimage to discover the
roots of the non-violent social movement conceived by Mahatma
Gandhi, he said.
"Upon their return to the United States, these
American civil rights leaders drew on Gandhiji`s ideas to
transform American society," Roemer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?