Amid outrage, candlelight vigil in UK for Bidve
London: Friends and family members of Indian student Anuj Bidve, who was shot dead unprovoked on a Salford street on December 26, held a candlelight vigil in Salford, Manchester on Monday.
Apart from Bidve’s friends and family members, several hundred people joined the vigil to show solidarity.
Those in attendance left flowers and messages at the spot in Orsdall Lane where Bidve was killed by a white gunman, which UK police are calling a hate crime.
Bidve, 23, was a student of MS degree in micro-electronics at Lancaster University.
British MP Keith Vaz, who attended the vigil, described the murder as a “senseless act”.
Meanwhile, a second post-mortem is expected to be conducted on Bidve`s body today.
On Monday, the 20-year-old British youth charged with the cold-blooded murder was remanded to custody for 24 hours at the City of Manchester Magistrates Court and there was no application for bail. The case has now been sent to the Manchester Crown Court.
Stapleton shocked everyone in court yesterday by calling himself a "psycho".
Also on Monday, two senior visiting UK police officials met the victim`s family in Pune, who sought justice.
While meeting Manchester chief police superintendent Berry Russel Jackson and another official at their residence in Pune’s Chandannagar area, Bidve`s sister Suruchi Wagh said she wanted justice for her brother.
"Of the five people arrested, three have been released on bail. The trial date will be told to us tomorrow (Tuesday) when the second post-mortem will be conducted by another pathologist.
"If the two post-mortem reports match, Anuj`s body will be handed over to the Indian High Commission. We appeal that Anuj should get justice...we trust the Greater Manchester Police and the UK government," she told reporters.
Bidve had died from a single gunshot wound to the head. He was described by tutors as "an outstanding applicant at the very beginning of a promising career".
The Greater Manchester Police said the reward of 50,000 pounds for information related to the case was still on offer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested