Amid protests, `polluting` vehicles off Kolkata roads
Kolkata: Two government buses were damaged
by unidentified persons in south Kolkata as police and
officials of public vehicles department started seizure of
15-year-old commercial vehicles on Saturday to comply with the
Calcutta High Court order.
Some people damaged the two state transport
corporation-run buses in the Regent Park area, Superintendent
of Police, South 24 Parganas district, Ajay Ranade said.
Kolkata police sources said the seizure process in
the city was totally peaceful elsewhere with police and PVD
officials impounding one auto, three taxis and one private
Commuters had a harrowing time due to lesser number of
vehicles plying on the streets.
The auto owners had called a strike during the day
adding to the woes of the commuters.
The Supreme Court yesterday refused to grant interim
stay on the Calcutta High Court judgement directing the West
Bengal government to phase out from the metropolis commercial
vehicles which were 15-years-old. The SC said it would hear
the bus-owners` petition seeking stay of the High Court order
on next Tuesday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!