Amit Mitra assault case: Six CPI(M), SFI activists arrested
New Delhi: Six activists belonging to CPI(M) and its youth wing SFI, including two women, were arrested here on Monday for allegedly assaulting West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra outside the Planning Commission office here two weeks back.
Those arrested included Students Federation of India (SFI) General Secretary Ritabrata Bandhopadhyay, Delhi CPI(M) Secretary PMS Grewal, Delhi State Committee member Nathu Prasad and women activists Asha Sharma and Anju Jha.
They face charges under section 353 (assault), 186 (obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt) and 143 and 149 (relating unlawful assembly) of Indian Penal Code.
"They were arrested after analysing the video footage related to the protest at Yojna Bhavan housing Planning Commission on Parliament Street on April nine," a senior police official said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Mitra had gone to Planning Commission office to discuss the state`s annual plan when they were gheraoed by a group of angry SFI activists protesting the death of one of their colleagues in Kolkata early this month.
The 65-year-old Finance Minister was manhandled while trying to enter the Yojana Bhawan building and a woman protester thumped him twice on his chest and his kurta got torn in the melee.
He was later put under medical observation at AIIMS and Banerjee was administered oxygen after she took ill.
The heckling generated a controversy with Trinamool Congress staging demonstrations in Kolkata and demanding stringent punishment against the protesters.
CPI(M) has condemned the heckling of Mitra and its General Secretary Prakash Karat has said, "There was no attack whatsoever on Mamata Banerjee. But there was a melee and jostling of the Finance Minister (Mitra), which we have disapproved of and condemned."
According to the police, the Chief Minister was supposed to enter the Planning Commission building in the high security zone of the capital through its Gate No-4, but she used the in-gate where CISF had erected a barricade to control the access.
"She came in a private car and without any escort. Then she was heckled by the protesters. Immediately, police threw a cordon around her and escorted her inside," a police official had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP