Amit Shah best suited for BJP president post: Rajnath Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Ratifying Amit Shah as Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) President, outgoing party chief Rajnath Singh on Saturday said that under Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Amit Shah, India will become `jagat guru` again.
Addressing party members at the BJP National Council meet, Singh said, “Amit Shah is suited for the position of the BJP chief due to his leadership in Uttar Pradesh that saw the party bagging 71 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in the state during the General Elections. I am handing over the BJP work to Amit Shah.”
Giving credit for BJP`s thumping victory in Uttar Pradesh, the outgoing BJP chief said, “ For the first time, the BJP has achieved such a victory in UP and credit goes to Amit Shah.”
He further said that when he was looking for someone to lead the party in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections in Uttar Pradesh, he zeroed in on Amit Shah.
He added that under Shah`s leadership, for the first time BJP got 71 of 80 Lok Sabha seats while two seats went to a BJP ally.
Singh recalled that the BJP had just two seats in the Lok Sabha in 1984 and today it is the "biggest party".
"The credit goes to lakhs of workers... (and also) credit goes to Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s popularity."
Rajnath Singh further said that BJP and Left parties are the only two parties in the country which are cadre and ideology-based.
"We can say that the only cadre and ideology based party left is the BJP. Congress has neither ideology nor cadre," he added.
Further seeking the support of the voters, Singh said, “I congratulate new party president Amit Shah, and seek your support for the same.”
Speaking over his own tenure, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said, “ I am fully satisfied with my tenure as BJP chief.”
“I have worked in many posts and took over many responsibilities. It`s not possible in any other party,” he added.
“I am sure under Narendra Modi, Amit Shah India will become `jagat guru` again,” he assured.
Further encouraging the party carders to work hard after getting the 2014 poll victory, Singh said, “We have a mandate but I appeal but we shouldn`t take it for granted. We need to work even more with much more dedication and the mandate should drive us forward.”
He further said, “Credit for our victory goes to every party worker.”
“Today we should work with the motto: Join with the soul of Bharat,” he added.
“I believe that the missions launched by Atal Bihari Vajpayee will be completed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” Rajnath Singh said at the BJP meet.
Further slamming the former UPA governments, Singh said, "UPA-I, UPA-II, will be remembered for the highest number of corruption cases," adding that `Congress has neither cadre nor any specific ideology.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan