Amit Shah, Narendra Modi`s Man Friday, is new BJP chief
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal and Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party`s parliamentary board on Wednesday approved the elevation of Amit Shah - Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s close aide and general secretary – as national president of the party.
The announcement to this regard was made by outgoing BJP president and Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh at a press conference here.
Also present at the presser were Amit Shah, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, veteran leader LK Advani, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj among others.
Also Read: Master strategist Amit Shah scripts history in BJP
Rajnath informed that the parliamentary board approved Amit Shah`s name for BJP national president unanimously.
"From now and now on, Amit Shah will be the president of the BJP and lead the party. His appointment was approved unanimously," he said.
Shortly after the announcement, Modi and Singh offered sweets to Shah while other leaders including Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Swaraj and Jaitley gave him bouquets.
Shah, who faces charges in the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case, is largely credited for BJP`s stunning performance in UP where it got 71 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats.
With Jharkhand, Maharashtra and Haryana scheduled to go to polls later this year, Shah will have a herculean task to bring the BJP into power in all the three states. While Maharashtra and Haryana are being ruled by the Congress, Jharkhand is being governed by Jharkhand Mukti Morcha under the leadership of Hemant Soren.
Recently, the Maharashtra BJP unit had advocated for Shah to handle the election campaign in the state.
Known to be a sharp political strategist, the former Gujarat home minister remains Modi`s most trusted political aide and master strategist.
Shah had served as the home minister of Gujarat when Modi was the chief minister.
Shah, who had a plastics and printing business, met Modi in the late 1980s.
It was earlier said that Shah, who is currently BJP`s national general secretary, may contest from Vadodara Lok Sabha seat that was vacated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who retained Varanasi constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's 'workout tips' will give you major 'Baar Baar Dekho' feels! Pic inside
- PM inaugurates Stor Palace, says Indians will always be with Afghanistan
- Bangladesh PM Hasina accuses BNP of being behind 2014 grenade attack
- Trains delayed after wire snaps on Delhi-Saharanpur route
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre launched in India at starting price of Rs 3.82 lakh