Amit Shah reaches Mumbai after SC order
Mumbai: Former Gujarat Minister Amit Shah landed in Mumbai on Sunday, a day after he was ordered by the Supreme Court to be out of his home state till the time it
hears the CBI`s plea seeking cancellation of his bail on November 15.
Sources close to Shah said he left for Mumbai from Ahmedabad by a flight today complying with the directive by the Apex Court to leave Ahmedabad by Sunday morning. It was not known where Shah, a close aide of Chief Minister Narendra
Modi, is put up in Mumbai where he has several relatives.
The former minister of state for home, an accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, was granted bail by the Gujarat High Court on Friday.
The CBI had yesterday appealed in the Supreme Court seeking cancellation of his bail, but the apex court refused to modify the High Court order.
The apex court had also directed Shah to leave the state by Sunday morning and asked him to stay out till further order and posted the matter for next hearing on November 15.
The CBI had, in its arguments in the Supreme Court, said that Shah could tamper with evidence.
"By observing this condition set by the SC, Shah will be immune from the allegation of tampering with evidence," Shah`s counsel Nirupam Nanavati had said.
Forty six-year-old Shah, had got a reprieve from the High Court which granted him bail three month after his arrest.
Shah, who has been described by the CBI as the "kingpin" of the conspiracy, had quit the Modi government in July this year after being slapped with charges of murder and
kidnapping in the fake encounter killing of alleged gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh and his wife Kausar Bi in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees