Amjad Ali Khan`s sarod damaged on Air India flight
Mumbai: When music-loving Mumbaikars gathered for what they thought would be an evening of soulful music by acclaimed sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, they were in for a surprise. The maestro was there, but his delicate teakwood instrument was damaged, courtesy flight handlers at Air India.
Amjad Ali Khan turned up for the show at the Chembur Fine Arts Society in north-east Mumbai and displayed the sarod, which he claimed was damaged during a flight from Ahmedabad to Mumbai Thursday morning.
"The sarod, weighing around 15 kg, is a very delicate instrument. It was packed in a tough box. I had booked it as a check-in baggage on the Air India flight, IC-614 which left Ahmedabad this morning at 7.20 a.m.," Amjad Ali Khan told IANS.
A visibly upset Amjad Ali Khan said he had decided to show his fans and music lovers the broken and damaged sarod, which happened to be his favourite one.
Before leaving for the airport in the morning, he had taken a look to ensure the instrument was packed safely - and it was.
But to his shock, when he reached his place of residence in south Mumbai and opened the box, he found the precious instrument badly damaged.
"My heart is bleeding. I don`t want to make any claims since Air India is our national carrier, but I do wish they had taken more care of the delicate baggage," he told IANS.
Though made of teakwood, it is a very delicate instrument. It was made 25 years ago by renowned sarod maker Hemendra Chandra Sen, who passed away last week, Amjad Ali Khan said.
Amjad Ali Khan sent an SOS to his wife Subbulakshmi in New Delhi and asked her to rush to Mumbai with a spare sarod for his two more concerts over the next two days in the city.
"She will reach here by tomorrow morning and that will enable me to keep up my commitments - one at CFAS tomorrow followed by the NCPA Saturday," he said.
Though he did not lodge any formal complaint with the AI authorities at Mumbai Airport, he urged them to ensure that such delicate instruments are attended to more gently.
"They can also consider setting up a special counter for oversized baggage, as is common in all foreign countries," Amjad Ali Khan suggested to AI.
When contacted by IANS, an AI spokesperson, though not aware of the incident, enquired with the concerned officials at the airport, but drew a blank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview