AMU to set up centres in West Bengal, Kerala: VC
Aligarh: The Aligarh Muslim University will set up two centres in West Bengal and Kerala, varsity officials said here on Thursday.
"AMU has received the approval from the President for establishing two new centres of the university at Murshidabad and Malappuram," University Vice Chancellor PK Abdul Azis said.
This is the first time that AMU will start special centres outside the city of Aligarh, he added.
"The university is thankful to the governments of West Bengal and Kerala for readily providing the required land free of cost," he said.
Azis further said that it is the biggest gift of the Central government to the Muslim community for the promotion of minority education.
With this initiative, AMU would be in the forefront of a movement for the promotion of education, particularly among Muslims and other minorities in India, he said.
However, the establishment of the above two centres has been a subject of controversy both within the AMU fraternity
and in political circles.
Several prominent alumni of the AMU, including members of the university, have opposed the setting up of these centres saying that there is "no provision in the university`s constitution for undertaking this step".
AMU Teachers Association Secretary Jamshed Siddiqui said, "This move violates in letter and spirit the basic ideals behind the establishment of this residential university. The step will lead to a major decline in educational standards and will dilute the residential character of this university. It also violates the University Act".
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why