AMU to set up centres in West Bengal, Kerala: VC
Aligarh: The Aligarh Muslim University will set up two centres in West Bengal and Kerala, varsity officials said here on Thursday.
"AMU has received the approval from the President for establishing two new centres of the university at Murshidabad and Malappuram," University Vice Chancellor PK Abdul Azis said.
This is the first time that AMU will start special centres outside the city of Aligarh, he added.
"The university is thankful to the governments of West Bengal and Kerala for readily providing the required land free of cost," he said.
Azis further said that it is the biggest gift of the Central government to the Muslim community for the promotion of minority education.
With this initiative, AMU would be in the forefront of a movement for the promotion of education, particularly among Muslims and other minorities in India, he said.
However, the establishment of the above two centres has been a subject of controversy both within the AMU fraternity
and in political circles.
Several prominent alumni of the AMU, including members of the university, have opposed the setting up of these centres saying that there is "no provision in the university`s constitution for undertaking this step".
AMU Teachers Association Secretary Jamshed Siddiqui said, "This move violates in letter and spirit the basic ideals behind the establishment of this residential university. The step will lead to a major decline in educational standards and will dilute the residential character of this university. It also violates the University Act".
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert