An advice for Babus from PM: Be innovative and quick
New Delhi: Giving a pep talk to civil
servants, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday asked them to be
innovative and quick, saying people resent "apathy, sloth and
corruption" at any level of government more than ever before.
Doing some plain-speaking at the first annual conference
of Chief Secretaries here, he said there was a clamour for
accountability from all quarters -- the legislature, the
judiciary and the media.
"The rising expectations of the people make them
impatient with the speed at which we can deliver results.
People today resent apathy, sloth and corruption in any form
and at any level of government more than ever before," he told
the two-day meet.
He said "while there is unprecedented optimism in the
country about our prospects for the future, there are also new
challenges that we as administrators face."
"Governance today has become extremely complex," he
Dwelling on the security scenario, the Prime Minister
said terrorism, insurgency and extremism needed to be tackled
with a firm but effective and sensitive hand.
"It is one of the primary responsibilities of any
government to ensure the rule of law ...an atmosphere of peace
and communal harmony is also a pre-requisite for rapid
economic growth, he said.
Observing that economic reforms over the last 20 years
have enabled the country to become one of the fastest growing
economies in the world, he said the country has the resilience
to deal and meet the challenge of crises as "our response to
the recent global downturn shows".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes