An individual bigger or govt? Samajwadi Party asks PM on Ordinance withdrawal reports
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Dismissing Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi‘s opposition to the Ordinance on convicted lawmakers as a ‘drama’, Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Naresh Agarwal on Wednesday warned that the withdrawal would be ‘dangerous for democracy’.
Talking to a news channel, Agarwal called Rahul’s remark on the Ordinance a "drama".
He appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that the Cabinet must stick to the Ordinance and should not send a message that it is being withdrawn because of an individual. He added that his party supports Ordinance because one can appeal to higher courts, adding why should leaders lose their seat only on lower court`s judgement.
"If the PM backs on his stand, then it is dangerous for democracy. The Ordinance should be brought. How can one be disqualified simply on basis of trial court verdict?”
The SP leader further asked why the government’s allies were being ignored in this decision. “Just because Rahul Gandhi has decided, the stand should not change”, he said.
"If the Ordinance is taken back, it will prove that, in this country, an individual is bigger than the government," Agarwal said.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to discuss the Ordinance that proposes to protect convicted lawmakers, a party official said.
Rahul Gandhi had earlier rubbished the Ordinance, saying that it was "complete nonsense" and should be "torn up and thrown away".
The remark had created a political storm, with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) saying that the prime minister should step down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!