New Delhi: Chinese President Xi Jinping arrived in India on Wednesday along with his wife Peng Liyuan. While the talking point of the high-profile visit has been the trade and border issues between India and China and the chemistry between Xi and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Liyuan has also caught the imagination of the people of India and its media.
Here's an insight into the women who is China's First Lady:
- Peng was was born in a small town in the Chinese province of Shandong and joined China's People's Liberation Army Army at age 18 in 1980.
- She rose up the ranks to hold the title of major general.
- She was a folk singer and a performing artist and had a three-decade-long career as a folk star.
- She became popular as a soprano singer from her regular appearances on the annual CCTV New Year's Gala. This is highly widely viewed mainland Chinese television program that airs during the Chinese New Year.
- Her most famous singles include People from Our Village and In the Field of Hope.
- Peng has a Master's degree in traditional ethnic music.
- She is listed as the 57th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes.
- Peng is also a WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS.
- Peng became an internet sensation in China after she accompanied Xi to Russia and Africa after he became President.
- Considered stylish with a great dressing sense, Peng has often been compared to US First Lady Michelle Obama.
- She has been married to Xi for over 25 years and they have a daughter named Xi Mingze born in 1992, nicknamed as Xiao Muzi.