Anand Sharma caught on wrong foot
New Delhi: Deputy Leader of Congress in Rajya Sabha Anand Sharma was caught on the wrong foot on Thursday when he objected to the absence of Cabinet Ministers in the House even when Thawar Chand Gehlot was seated in the front row.
As soon as the discussion on the Budget resumed, Sharma got up to raise a point of order during Zero Hour saying there is no Cabinet Minister in the House.
A visibly surprised Gehlot rose to say that he was very much there and asked Sharma in a lighter vein as to why the latter was doing "injustice" to him even when he is there for a long time.
A smiling Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien also asked Sharma why was he "demoting" Gehlot who is already a Cabinet Minister.
Gehlot is the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment.
An apparently embarrassed Sharma said Thawar Chand is not well-known.
A little while later, some members raised objection to the absence of a Finance Minister in the House when the budget was being discussed.
Kurien said while it is desirable that there should a Finance Minister during the debate on budget, members can proceed since a Cabinet minister is already present.
Soon the Minister of State for Finance Nirmala Sitharaman came back to the House after an assurance in this regard by Union Minister Prakash Javadekar.
On her return, she said she had gone out of the House for only "a few seconds".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram