Anand Sharma likely to continue as Rajya Sabha member
New Delhi: Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma is likely to continue in the post despite his Rajya Sabha tenure coming to an end on April 2.
Highly-placed Congress sources said Sharma was likely to be asked to continue in the post for a few more months, signalling that the leadership may accommodate him from any other state other than Himachal Pradesh when the next round of elections to Rajya Sabha will be held by middle of the year.
The party, this time, cannot get him re-elected from his home turf Himachal Pradesh, which is under BJP rule, due to lack of numbers.
Sharma, 57, is a former AICC spokesman and had held the posts of the Minister of state for External Affairs and Information and Broadcasting.
He was elevated to the Cabinet rank when UPA-II came to power in May last.
Sharma recently said it is the "prerogative" of the Congress high command to decide on his re-election to the Upper House.
"This is the special prerogative of the Congress President, whatever decision she (Sonia Gandhi) and the Prime Minister take, I will respect that," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'