Anand Sharma meets wife of late Nelson Mandela
Johannesburg: Commerce and Industry Anand Sharma on Thursday met Graca Machel, wife of former President South Africa Late Nelson Mandela and conveyed his personal condolences.
Sharma heading the Indian delegation for the lying in State ceremony filed past the mortal remains of Mandela at the Union Buildings in Pretoria yesterday to pay last respects to the great leader, Commerce and Industry Ministry of India said in a statement.
In his interaction with Machel, he recalled the strong ties that existed between India and Mandela and the support that the Indian people extended in his fight against the brutal apartheid regime in South Africa, it said.
President Pranab Mukherjee, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and other Members of Parliament were here for the Official State Memorial Service held on December 10 in remembrance of the departed leader.
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state
- SC, ST promotions: Shivraj Singh-led government to move Supreme Court
- Bombed Brussels airport departure hall to reopen today