Anand Sharma to take up visa fee hike with US
New Delhi: Commerce and Industry Minister
Anand Sharma will take up the visa fee hike issue during his
visit to the US next month, with India hopeful that the matter
can be resolved bilaterally.
"When you have trouble with someone, how many times you
go running to a court," Commerce Secretary Rahul Khullar said,
indicating that the matter, which could hurt the interests of
Indian professionals, is likely to be resolved bilaterally.
Terming the hike in H-1B and L1 visa fees as WTO-
incompatible, he said India cannot "sit by" on an issue that
hurts its commercial interests.
"If somebody is going to restrict my (India) provision
and harm my commercial interest through regulation, then they
should know we will not sit by and watch," Khullar said.
He said the matter is being pursued through diplomatic
When asked if the minister will raise the issue with the
US authorities during his visit, Khullar said: "Do you think
he (Sharma) will not talk about the issue?"
Protesting the American move, Sharma had written to US
Trade Representative Ron Kirk early this month saying that
the visa fee hike would cost Indian firms an additional USD
200 million a year, making them less competitive.
Under the Emergency Border Security Supplemental
Appropriations Act, 2010 -- popularly called the Border
Security Bill -- the US has hiked the fee for certain
categories of H-1B and L1 visas by at least USD 2,000 for the
next five years.
The domestic software industry has raised concerns that
the increase in fees will adversely impact companies of Indian
origin, which account for about 12 per cent of the total
number of visas issued by the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh